How can I generate electricity in my house with solar energy?
We often get this question from prospects considering solar use, so in this post we'll learn about solar power, solar energy power generation, the benefits of using solar energy in general and more specifically using it for your home.
What is Solar Power?
Solar power is the conversion of sun radiation into electricity through the use of solar photovoltaic cells. As said by many experts that the amount of solar energy reaching the earth is more than 10000 times the current energy consumption by man.
Solar Energy Power Generation
Solar energy generation is the most promising renewable energy source of power generation worldwide and indeed for Nigeria. Electricity is in increasing demand because of our dependent on it for basic needs in our daily life. Fossil fuels, a major source of electrical power generation are depleting day by day and also its usage raises serious environmental concerns. These reasons force the development of new energy sources such as wind, solar, water, biomass and geothermal energy which are renewable and ecologically safe. The solar power generation is the most efficient route for power generation because it takes a minimum number of steps (for producing electricity) than that of other generation methods.
Benefits of Solar Power Generation
- Solar energy is available freely and conveniently in nature and it needs no mains supply
- Solar generation plant can be installed in a few months while the conventional power plants take several years to build an electricity generation plant
- Solar power is clean energy as it produces no air or water pollution. Also, there are no moving parts to create noise pollution. Unlike fossil fuels, no toxic emissions are released into the atmosphere during solar energy power generation
- Solar power has less running cost that means once the capital investment is made, there is no need for continues purchase of fossil fuels as the solar energy is effectively free in nature
Benefits of Solar in Homes
- Reduction in electricity bills; with solar be rest assured that of significant decrease in your overall electricity bills
- You save energy and money
- Contribution to clean environment and improvement of public health
- Installing solar panels on your home helps combat greenhouse gas emissions and reduces our collective dependence on fossil fuel
- Conservation of resources using solar energy; electricity sourced from fossil fuels such as coal and natural gas use up scarce resources e.g water, emit harmful gases and cause water and air pollution.
- Creation of job; every solar installation carried out is a job opportunity for someone to make a living.
- Opportunity to do more that matters; whether it's studying for exam, watching your favourite tv show or enjoying comfort; with solar you are in control!
How to Power Your Home with Solar
To get started with using solar for your home's electricity backup some hardware components are required which needs to be installed by experienced Solar installers.
The key components in solar energy electricity generation include
- Solar panels
- Charge controller
Solar panels (or Solar cell modules) convert the solar energy into electricity. These are mounted in such a way that they collect maximum energy from the sun. Solar Panels The panels are connected in series to form a solar array that produces higher voltage, typically of 24 or 48V in standalone systems, or it can be several hundreds of volts in grid-connected systems. If the panels are connected in parallel, the current delivered to the load will be more and hence the more power while maintaining the same voltage. Irrespective of series or parallel connection, the power rating of the system increases when multiple solar panels are connected together.
All solar energy power generation systems except the grid-connected solar solution, use batteries to store the energy generated from solar panels. Since the amount of solar power generated depends on the strength of the sunlight, batteries provide a constant source of power supply once it is fully charged. Batteries Mostly, lead acid batteries are used in solar electric systems/power solution. Like solar panels, batteries can be connected together to form a battery bank. These can be connected either series or parallel as similar to solar panels to achieve desired voltage, current and power ratings. The type of battery chosen depends on the energy requirements of a system and its budget.
The Solar Charge Controller regulates the flow of current into and out of the battery. If the generated current overcharges the battery, it can be damaged. Moreover, if the battery is completely discharged, the lifespan can be shortened. Hence the solar charge controller prevents the batteries to undergo these conditions. The charge controller module balances the amount of electricity used to power appliance and lights with generated power. Also, it prevents the damage to the batteries due to overcharging and deep discharging. In addition, it gives the alarm when the module not functioning properly.
The electricity generated from the solar panels is a Direct Current (DC), whereas most electrical appliances work on Alternating Current (AC) and hence a converter is needed to convert DC to AC, nothing but an inverter.
The Solar power solution for home
At Cloud Energy we don't just give an estimated bill for a solar solution, we get adequate information on your power need to provide concise energy solution that suits you and your budget while providing after-sales support.