With the availability of different alternative sources of electricity generation, it is essential to have an understanding of the choice of alternative energy source you are considering, this it to ensure that you are knowledgeable about what you would be investing your finance in. Let's get started.
What is a Solar Inverter?
The Solar Inverter
is an essential device in any solar powered system. The basic function of this inverter is to change the Direct Current(DC) output received from the sun through the solar panel stored in the batteries to Alternating Current(AC) . The various electrical and electronic components connected in the circuits of the inverter help in this conversion.
The converted Alternating Current power is used for running your appliances like the TV, Refrigerator
, Microwave, etc. For some particular applications, we can directly use the Direct Current power from the solar panel such as LED street lights
, a cell phone charger. Generally, the power of a home solar power system is used to power AC loads.
Types of Solar Inverters
There are quite a number of Solar Inverter types available. But there are a few types of solar inverters available in the market which includes the following.
Off Grid Inverter/Stand-alone inverter
This solar inverter type is fed DC power from a battery bank. This battery bank is charged by solar panels. Several such inverters have integrated battery chargers which can be used to boost the battery
from an AC power source. Cloud Energy solar inverters are Off-grid inverters
Grid Tie Inverter
An inverter which is associated with the grid can be said to be a grid tie inverter. This inverter feed power from/to the electricity grid by corresponding phase and frequency. And, the frequency ranges around 50Hz in Nigeria of the operational AC power with the effectiveness supplied AC power. These inverters are designed to automatically shut down once sensing a loss of supply from the utility.
Battery backup Inverter
These special types of inverters are particularly designed to draw energy from a battery. The charge of the battery is preserved by using an on-board charger and an additional energy is transferred to the utility grid. Such inverters have the ability to provide AC power to particular loads during power outages. They also have the anti-islanding function.
Microinverters are modern in the solar industry. They are small, compact size and portable with a lot of performance. They generally include a single solar module that generates DC to be converted to AC.
Solar energy is changed to electrical energy with the help of photovoltaic cells. This energy is stored in batteries during daytime for the operation purpose whenever needed.
Advantages of Solar Inverter
After knowing what a solar inverter along with the available types, we discuss about the several advantages of the solar inverter.
- Solar energy has constantly helped in decreasing the greenhouse effect and global warming.
- Solar inverters help contribute to keeping the environment safe, since no toxic fume is expelled or utilized
- A solar inverter helps in changing the DC fom the batteries into AC. This supports people who use a partial amount of electricity.
- This inverter is cost effective in the long run, i.e. less spend on fuels and service/maintenance of generators.
Disadvantages of Solar Inverter
- Primarily, we need to shell out quite a sum of money for purchasing a solar powered solution.
- It will work efficiently and optimally to produce the needed power only when the sunlight is in abundance (so it may not reach optimum performance in cloudy/rainy weather).
- A spacious/open area is needed (for rooftop or ground mounted) for the solar panels to be mounted and receive the required sunlight.
Solar Inverters can work when there is no sunshine but the battery needs to be charged fully with the help of the sun.
We hope that you have got a better understanding of solar inverters with this post. If you are considering solar inverter as an alternative energy source, Cloud Energy can be of help in discussing the benefits
of the solar-switch. Please give your feedback by commenting in the comment section below.
Sources: wikipedia.org, Edgefxkits.com